Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2.5L (10 cups) chicken stock
- 40g butter
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 880g (4 cups) arborio rice
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 6 (about 500g) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm pieces
- 200g button mushrooms, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 120g (1 1/2 cups) finely grated parmesan
- Bring the stock just to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Heat butter and 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy-based stockpot or large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent but not coloured. Add the rice and 1 tablespoon of thyme. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the grains appear slightly glassy.
- Add the wine to the rice mixture and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Add a ladleful (about 125ml/1/2 cup) of the simmering stock to the rice and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock mixture, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladleful, for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and the risotto is creamy.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until chicken just starts to brown. Add the mushroom and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture, parmesan and remaining thyme to the risotto and combine. Season with salt and pepper to serve.