- 1 1/4 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 4 eggwhites
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Queens vanilla bean paste
- 90g white chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thickened cream
- Grease 3 large baking trays. Line with baking paper. Sift almond meal and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Add vanilla. Beat until just combined. Fold in half the almond mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining mixture until combined and glossy (mixture will break down a little).
- Spoon into a large snaplock bag. Snip 1cm from 1 corner. Pipe 4cm rounds mixture onto prepared trays, 3cm apart. Tap trays on bench to remove air bubbles. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 130°C/110°C fan-forced. Bake macarons, 1 tray at a time, for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops are firm. Cool on trays. Carefully transfer to a wire rack.
- Make filling Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 1 minute or until chocolate melts. Stir with a metal spoon to combine. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and becomes spreadable (see tip).
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon filling over flat sides of half the macarons. Sandwich with remaining macarons. Set aside until filling sets. Serve.