- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Combine 1 1/3 cups of the sugar and the melted butter in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or whisk. Add 4 of the eggs, mixing thoroughly. Fold in the dry ingredients, mixing just long enough to make a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, reserving 1/2 cup for marbling the top.
- Beat together the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and the cream cheese with an electric mixer until very smooth and light. Add the vanilla and the remaining egg and mix until evenly combined. Pour this batter into the center of the brownie batter, keeping it away from the sides of the pan.
- With a teaspoon, carefully spoon the remaining brownie batter around the top of the cake. Run a butter knife through the pools of brownie batter for a marbled effect.
- Bake until the edges of the cheesecake begin to shrink from the sides of the pan and the center is set but still moist, 30 to 40 minutes. If the top is browning too quickly, cover the cake loosely with foil. Cool completely on a rack in the pan and chill for at least 3 hours before cutting into pieces.